My Darling Shoe Princesses
There’s much to be excited about for the next three and a half months, with our Patron Saint Manolo Blahnik sprinkling his magic dust at Liberty of London. (Incidentally, his very first retail foray outside of his Chelsea headquarters.)
Not only has he designed the most divine selection of shoe-inspired gifts baring his signature drawings, but he’s also made exquisite shoes exclusively for Liberty – having painstakingly researched their magnificent fabric catalogues for inspiration.
For those SPs lucky enough to be London-bound, have fun! For the rest of us, click here for the full range in Liberty’s World of Manolo.
By way of consolation for SP Emma Bowd not being able to get to London to see her beloved Liberty, I thought I’d share with you some of my Top 10 Manolo Blahnik Moments of Madness from The Shoe Princess’s Guide to the Galaxy (Bloomsbury, 2009):
1. Full marks for initiative to junior SP of Hong Kong, aged 9 years, who sawed off the 9cm heels on her mother’s Manolos so that she could wear them.
2. SP of Paris only ever wears skyscraper Manolos and drinks champagne during long-haul flights. Vowing that it prevents jetlag and always makes the destination city look more interesting.
3. Go sister! A Spanish nun was sentenced to community service after embezzling school-library funds and spending them on 30 pairs of Manolos.
4. SP of St Petersburg highly recommends Manolos to inject spice into the bedroom – ever since her boyfriend started wearing them.
5. It must be love! Cape Town model and SP put 200 pairs of Manolos up for sale on eBay after her boyfriend refused to move in with her unless she halved her shoe collection.